Mandriva is still present because of his “back to the community,” announced a few days ago, and a new report has been published in the official project blog. What’s new? It is difficult to say anything in particular.
Then the full statement issued by Jean-Manuel Croset, CEO of Mandriva :
Mandriva SA evolves
Considering its environment and its market, Mandriva SA adapts its structure and methods. We will base our future products in technology, collaborations and partnerships to ensure greater value to users and customers.
As such, we decided to adopt an approach that differs from the past “one size fits all” and for each product and service, look for the best possible collaboration. This allows us to bring the best response to the needs of our customers. We will base our products as follows:
Desktop, OEM products and education
Collaboration and exchanges with Mandriva Linux (entity creation), contributions and support to the project.
Collaboration and exchanges with Mageia community, contributions to the project.
Internal development and contributions to the project Mandriva Linux.
Collaboration and participation in current projects on the basis of cooperation agreements signed.
These partnerships are based on the current situation and the landscape in technical, commercial and strategic. Be reviewed regularly and are subject to change if the optimization and development of our products require.
So far the news
, whose most noteworthy point is the mention of Mageia. a union is about both projects, whose leadership belongs exclusively to the community? From my point of view, is the only light in this whole situation. But better not to jump the gun, because then things can be very different from what they seem.
is that in that article it says a lot, and nothing is said. More vague in the sense of vague-could not have been Croset. What collaboration will build the partnership between Mandriva and Mageia
Attention to the following, a timeline of those that are so fashionable lately:
- since 1998, was the queen Mandrake GNU / Linux in the face of domestic users, as it now is Ubuntu.
- In 2005 merged with Brazil’s Conectiva, Mandriva and arises. The quality is still the mark of the house, but in a couple of years they’ve won Ubuntu starting the general public.
- In 2010, Mandriva’s popularity has been greatly reduced, although its quality products remain. However, a financial mismanagement and a bad relationship with your community (which has always been very active and enthusiastic), they will be passed the worst two years of its existence (well deserved, I must said).
- full “storm,” much more active in their community is tired and is born as a project purely Mageia community. Now, nobody gives a euro for Mandriva. But, oh, surprise, appeared on the scene ROSA .
- What was black becomes blue again, and almost manage to convince us with Mandriva 2011, which marked the goal of being “the best KDE distribution ‘out there. They failed, but kept his room, more tiny than before, but still comfortable.
- financial situation, however, does not let the French company, which caresses bankruptcy for almost half a year . At the last moment, expected in April as a deadline, after several delays, ‘get even exceed the time of death, until the time that we are now.
I really think it is not going to raise the company (always talk about the company). Why?
Mandriva is a great project , no doubt, large enough for either group-or all-community more present collect the witness. There are from Mageia ROSA, Unity Linux or MiB. But is that enough with a single developer wanting to take over the project and create community. Just look at PCLinuxOS, though not the best example of success. In fact, there is a better example, and that is Linux Mint: collect the work of others and give it your touch. But there is a problem: what if others do the ground work
As noted in the previous article, Mandriva company will continue to work actively with the project, financed in part (assumed), but leave the direction hands of the community, only . Undoubtedly, an unusual move in the corporate field I keep attributing to the company’s desperation to survive. Because now they will work among all, but the benefits will probably remain in SA, right?
What is clear after such a billet which I have marked? Few things. Very few. Of course, I did not see any revival in phoenix plan at this point, unless there were a total EC concentration effect, remains to be seen so be it. And yet the thing is difficult. Mandriva still exist , but as a supporting actor, the kind with little dialogue (and I hope I’m wrong, really, because Ubuntu lacks serious competition, which now does not).
is over, getting wet with which I think is the best solution (for anyone to tell me “all negative, nothing positive” with a Dutch accent): complete disappearance of Mandriva Linux distribution focused on the end user; all resources in this regard to Mageia, whose name should be enhanced (plus it ensures complete autonomy and actual project management). And with regard to Mandriva company, as they say support the basis for development and focus their marketing efforts on providing technical assistance and further develop press 2 , I consider a very competent solution should continue polishing.
No related posts.